Sunday, January 10, 2010

January 10 Play: REFRIGERATOR


# 10: REFRIGERATOR - by Ed Valentine
© January 10, 2010 * ed@edvalentine.com


IN THE DARKNESS: Low lights up on a refrigerator. In front of it, a small square of kitchen linoleum. MOTHER enters in curlers and housecoat and goes towards the 'fridge. When her hand is on the refrigerator handle, a little GIRL appears just outside of the circle of light.


GIRL (In a singsong:)
There’s something evil in my fridge,
There’s something evil in my fridge,
There’s something evil in my fridge,
And I know what it is.

MOTHER
How do you know?

GIRL
I can smell it.

MOTHER
And you’re sure?

GIRL
Don’t go in there.

MOTHER
But darling, I’m hungry. I’m so so hungry.

GIRL (Shrugs:)
Do what you will, then.

(MOTHER hesitates. Agonizes. Decides.)

MOTHER
You’re being ridiculous. I’m just going in for a bite, dear, can't you see I’m starving?

(She opens the door of the ‘fridge. Blinding light bursts forth and a tentacle thrusts out and grabs her. Drags her in, screaming. The door shuts. Silence.)

GIRL
He’s hungry too. Goodnight, Mother.

(She turns and walks away into the darkness. The refrigerator door opens. The thing inside spits out Mother’s curlers onto the linoleum floor. The door shuts. Hold. Lights fade.)

END OF PLAY.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this one. Fantastic :)