Thursday, March 4, 2010

March 3 Play: THE MIRROR AT THE ROOSEVELT HOTEL

62: THE MIRROR AT THE ROOSEVELT HOTEL - by Ed Valentine
© March 3, 2010 * ed@edvalentine.com


LIGHTS UP: Something big, covered with a sheet. A WORKMAN and a MAN.

MAN: So that’s it?

WORKMAN: That’s what they say.

MAN: I was wondering where it was. This whole time, I’ve wandered around the hotel, wondering where it was. And here it is.

WORKMAN: ‘swhat I said.

MAN: And now you’re taking it away.

WORKMAN: Too many people only came here to see it. They hoped to get a look at her, figured they’d get a peek.

MAN: Right.

WORKMAN: Who can blame them, right? I mean, if I could get a peek at her I would. If I could get a poke at her, I would, you know what I mean?

MAN: I’m not here for that.

WORKMAN: Riiight. Anyway, I ain’t superstitious or anything. I think it’s a waste of time to get rid of it, but hey if it pays, it pays, right?

MAN: I just always wanted to see her. I always wished I could see her.

WORKMAN: Well give it a try, Mister!

(He whips the cloth off the object: it’s a big mirror with an ornate gilt frame.)

MAN: Oh.

WORKMAN: See? Just a mirror. A big mirror. But just a mirror. Disappointed, huh?
-
Well, they’re all disappointed.

MAN: I thought maybe she’d be there.

(WORKMAN covers the mirror with the sheet again.)

WORKMAN: I get it. I don’t believe in it, or nothing, but I get it. After hearing that she appears in the mirror, it’s hard to be happy when all you get is yourself. Hey, I gotta take a leak. Don’t touch anything.

MAN: I won’t.

WORKMAN leaves.
From far away: an echo of music from the 50’s, and a familiar voice singing a song.
Lights are strange.
MAN looks around.
Hesitates.
Descides: whips the sheet off.
MARILYN MONROE is in the mirror, ghostly, dancing in slow motion.
Perhaps she is in the dress from “The Seven Year Itch” and it’s billowing up around her.
Or perhaps another famous dress.

She beckons.

The MAN goes through the mirror.

MARILYN MONROE: I thought you’d never come, baby.

She kisses him. Music up: almost unbearable. Lights fade.

END OF PLAY.

1 comment:

louise said...

Oooh, I love this one! Of course you know I'd love anything with Marilyn Monroe in it, but I can totally visualize the scene at the ultra-cool Roosevelt Hotel with the magic mirror. Keep up the great work, and I'm looking forward to more!