Saturday, March 20, 2010

March 16 Play: BULLFIGHT

X: BULLFIGHT - by Ed Valentine
© March 16, 2010 * ed@edvalentine.com


LIGHTS UP: A BULL RING.

MATADOR:
I’m the Matador.
With my Spanish garters,
And my Spanish bows.
And look! My castanets.
And my sequins
And my derring-do.
When I enter the ring
I bring
My tarantella, my fandango, and my paso dobles.
I approach on tippy toe,
Then back away
I say
And forward march again.
I am the matador, always victorious.

VOICE OF THE BULL (from a tunnel):
Not. Always.

(The BULL emerges from a tunnel. Snorts.)

BULL:
Not always.
I am the bull
With burning eyes
And a hide whipped and pierced.
Christ would be ashamed.
My flanks steam
And my eyes roll.

MATADOR:
I am the Matador.

BULL:
I am the Bull.

MATADOR:
I am the Matador.

BULL:
I am the Bull.

MATADOR:
I am the Matador.

BULL:
And one of us will pierce the other.

MATADOR:
One of us will win.
(They strike poses.)
Ole!

(They lunge. Lights out before they connect.)

LIGHTS FADE. END OF PLAY.

No comments: