Monday, March 1, 2010

March 1 Play: SANDMAN

60: SANDMAN - by Ed Valentine
© March 1, 2010 * ed@edvalentine.com


LIGHTS UP: A CHILD in a bed. Darkness around.

CHILD: Who's there?
-
Someone's there. I hear you breathing.
-
You can't fool me.

VOICE: No.

CHILD: So you are there.
-
That wasn't a question.

VOICE: No.

CHILD: And?

VOICE: I'm the Sandman.

CHILD: The Sandman.

VOICE: Come to take away your day.

CHILD: Oh.

VOICE: Don't be afraid.

CHILD: Now why would I be afraid.

VOICE: -

CHILD: Show yourself.

(SANDMAN steps into the light. Frightening.)

SANDMAN: -

CHILD: Still not frightened.

SANDMAN: You don't recognize me?
-
That wasn't a question.
Every night I sprinkle sand in your eyes and you forget.

CHILD: Forget what?

SANDMAN: Everything. Everything sad.
How you hurt your finger in the car.

CHILD: I did, I did!

SANDMAN: And how you got scared when you lost your mother in the market for a moment.

CHILD: You're right?

SANDMAN: And how you got scared when you thought for a moment that you might not always have your parents with you.

CHILD: How did you know?

SANDMAN: I know things.

CHILD: Okay.

SANDMAN: So - prepared to forget?

CHILD: Yes.
-
Wait! Just - wait.
-
What if I want to remember?
Just a bit of it?
What if I want to remember?

SANDMAN: Child, don't ask that.
If you ask that, then you are ready to stop forgetting.

CHILD: Oh.

(Sandman puts away the bag of sand, starts to leave.)

CHILD: Wait. Just. Can you just forget I asked?

SANDMAN: Forgetting's not my forte. I'm the one who can't forget.

CHILD: But I want to. Forget. For just a little longer.

SANDMAN: (looks around:)
Well. Yes, Child. Just this once.
Ready?

CHILD: Ready.

SANDMAN: Goodnight then.

CHILD: Goodnight.

(Sandman sprinkles glittering sand over the child, who reacts as if stung as the memories leave. Then falls back on the pillow, peaceful. Sandman shakes his head. Sand falls all over the stage. Lights fade.)

END OF PLAY.

No comments: