Saturday, March 20, 2010

March 13 Play: THE PRICE OF NEEDLES

X: THE PRICE OF NEEDLES - by Ed Valentine
© March 13, 2010 * ed@edvalentine.com


LIGHTS UP: 2 Pioneer Women. Sitting across from each other in rocking chairs. At some distance. They are sewing. They are in one enormous dress – like two dresses connected at the hem, so that the dress spans the expanse between them.

1: The price of needles has gone up.

2: What?

1: I said, the price of needles has gone up.

2: Oh. Yes, the weasels are nice. Yes, I put them in the coop.

1: You’re useless. And the price of needles is too dear.

2: That is clear, yes.

1: Between the cost of needles and thimbles and thread, I don’t know what we’ll do. Soon we’ll be eating the slop from the pigs. And then where will we be?

2: I’m hungry. Hungry!

1: Keep sewing, Sister. Sun’s almost down.

2: You loved a rodeo clown?

1: I said, KEEP SEWING.

2: You talk too loud.


Sun goes down. They sew. Lights out.

BLACKOUT.

No comments: