Saturday, February 20, 2010

February 19 Play: JAZZ IN FURS

50: JAZZ IN FURS - by Ed Valentine
© February 19, 2010 * ed@edvalentine.com


LIGHTS UP: A JAZZ SINGER in a spotlight. Great outfit. Probably a fur. An old-fashioned microphone on a stand.

Sound of applause.
Then applause dies down.

She sings.

JAZZ SINGER:
I’m changing!
I feel myself changing.
And what’s so queer, dear,
Is that I’m hear, dear,
Watching myself changing too.

I’m changing.
My cells are rearranging.
And what I fear, dear,
Is that you’re near, dear,
And I’m afraid of what else I might do.


(She slowly becomes a wolf.)

Don’t say I haven’t told you
What happens when I hold you.
Don’t say there wasn’t warning
That you might not make the morning.
There’s never enough time enough time enough time enough time!
So…

Now I am changing
Such a goddamned strange thing
So don’t stay here, dear
Please do keep clear, dear!
I have no resistance
And it’s not just at a distance –
That I can take in you!
I’d like to take in you.

Like to take in all… of… you!


(Her transformation complete, she howls at the moon. Lights out.)

END OF PLAY.


NOTE: The new WOLFMAN movie's come out, with Benicio Del Toro in it. I haven't seen it yet, but the wolfman was on my mind. And Ella Fitzgerald was on the radio at the Casbah Cafe while I was trying to write this, so... there you go.

2 comments:

louise said...

I always wonder how you come up with your ideas, especially with this play-a-day project in which you're creating a different microworld daily, so thanks for posting the note at the end of this. (I would like to be your jazz singer for this one!)

Ed Valentine said...

thanks, Lovely Louise! Of COURSE you can be my jazz singer. I'm glad you like the new notes - I am going to add them whenever I'm able. Talk to you soon!