Tuesday, May 12, 2009

File Under "Things I'd Never Thought I'd Say"


Meant to tell you - the new "Star Trek" movie is AWESOME. (Yeah, I never thought I'd say that. I'm by no means a Trekkie, to say the least. I turned the show on a few times as a kid, thinking it was gonna be like "Star Wars" - and it so, so wasn't.)

But this movie kicks BUTT. I love that director JJ Abrams and screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci found an ingenious sci-fi reason to reinvent the nature of the characters and the relationships between them, and their very reason for being together. Now Chris Pine's Kirk is a hellraiser (and surprisingly funny, to boot!) and Zachary Quinto's Spock is the emotional heart of the movie.

Oh, there are a few quibbles here and there: Eric Bana's villain starts out strong and creepy and becomes almost an afterthought.

But I have to say: overall, it's a thrill to see this creaky old franchise from a fresh perspective... and it's a joy to see a summer blockbuster that's actually well-written, well-acted, funny, heartfelt, smart, and full of fists-a-flyin' action.

If you haven't already seen it... go boldly where, say, millions of moviegoers have gone before.

No comments: